Re: Disk formatting

On 2 Feb 2003, Jonathan Brandmeyer wrote:

> Now, I found that /home has taken up almost all of /'s available space.
> So, I created a new logical partion from some free space, as /dev/hdb5
> (~2GB)
>
> My question is: How can I format the new partition as ext3, and move
> /home to it safely?

I'll assume you have ext3 compiled in/running already.
roughly so:

mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdb5
mkdir /somewhere
mount /dev/hdb5 /somewhere
init 1(somewhat optional if you have no other users and logged in as root)
cd /home
mv . /somewhere
# favorite-editor-name-goes-here /etc/fstab (add /dev/hdb5 to mount on /home)
umount /somewhere
mount /dev/hdb5 /home
init 2 (think this is the right one), or just reboot

*hope it works*

I'm not 100% sure if mv will cross filesystems or not, you might have to
cp and then rm the original home

I'm doing basically the same thing right now on my other workstation,
except that I used tar to copy it around, since it was my root partition I
am resizeing/reformatting.