fups2 mouse in X

I've got a 4-5 year old Compaq Presario desktop (not laptop) with a PS/2 wheel mouse. Without gpm, and with X set up to see an imps/2 mouse on /dev/psaux, the mouse in X is erratic. So I tried playing with it in console mode only with gpm. I set gpm up the same way (imps2 on /dev/psaux), and started gpm, but gpm never showed up in the running processes (ps ax | grep gpm). Very odd. I tried over and over in several ways. I finally set the mouse to be fups2 instead of imps2, and then gpm loads and the mouse driver works fine in console. (I also tried a different mouse before I discovered fups2; it behaved the same way; I thought fups2 referred to the mouse instead of to the ps2 port, but apparently not.)

However, /etc/X11/XF86Config apparently doesn't recognize the fups2 type. (I haven't been able to find a canonical list of types that it does recognize, but X won't start with either fups2 or fups/2 as the type, either on /dev/gpmdata with gpm running, or on /dev/psaux with gpm not running.)

Any clues?

Thanks!

Kent