Re: OT Help with Mozilla

bob parker wrote:
On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 05:48, Travis Crump wrote:

bob parker wrote:

I'm in the middle of using ncftp to download Knoppix iso - 700meg.

As a consequence Moz keeps timing out while I attempt to access other
site I regularly use.

Is it possible to increase the time out delay in Mozilla? How?

Thanks

Bob

It looks like you want to adjust the prefernces
"network.http.request.timeout" and/or "network.http.connect.timeout".
If you have a new enough version of mozilla(I am not sure exactly what
is 'new' enough since I follow cvs and this is the first I've seen this
feature), you can edit the values by going to the url "about:config" and
scrolling down to the preference and right clicking the preference and
choosing Modify.  The old standby is to add the preference to
user.js(manually created in the same directory as prefs.js for your
profile) in the form:
user_pref("network.http.request.timeout", <time in seconds>);
and then restart mozilla.

Thanks for that. I'm using Moz 1.0 and
1. There is a line '715 network.http.request.timeout   default  int 120'
in about:config, but right click does nothing in this version.
2. I added the user-pref line to my user.js and restarted to no effect.
   ( I have other lines in user.js that also have no effect )

So I guess the next question is what must I do to install a later version?

Thanks
Bob

I don't think you need a new version just for this. I have no idea why it doesn't work, when you go into about:config after doing it does it say user set instead of default? Also, network.http.connect.timeout might be more important? If the pref doesn't claim to be user set/changed you could try adding the pref to /etc/mozilla/prefs.js which is the global equivalent of user.js.