Re: i2c and lm_sensors

karrottop <karrottop@fuse.net> writes:

> I am trying to get im_sensors running on my debian box, but I am getting
> some opposition.  First of all, I do have my kernel source, and it is
> symlinked to /usr/src/linux.  but for some reason when I go to where i2c
> installed from apt get /usr/src/modules/i2c (or something to that
> effect) and then run make all I get the following error.
> Makefile:175: kernel/i2c-philips-par.d: No such file or directory
> make: *** No rule to make target
> `/usr/local/include/linux/modversions.h', needed by
> `kernel/i2c-pcf-epp.d'.  Stop.
> does anyone know how I can remedy this?

You built your kernel using 'make-kpkg', right?  Having unpacked
/usr/src/i2c.tar.gz, 'make-kpkg modules-image' will build a .deb
package for the i2c kernel modules matching your kernel.

If you didn't use kernel-package, you may or may not be happier using
the upstream source.  I believe if you happen to be using unstable,
you can run 'debian/rules modules-nokpkg' to install modules directly
in /lib/modules, and that this is documented in
/usr/share/doc/i2c-source/README.Debian, but I'm a little confused as
to what's in unstable and what's only on my machine.  :-)  There's an
installation procedure for older versions documented in the same file,
but I recall it not working particularly well.

	-- Abra Mitchell