Re: problems getting started

Benjamin Meakin wrote:

Hello,
I just installed debian on my system and I am having trouble getting
gnome to work properly. Gnome starts up but the desktop does not fit to
screen, random icons appear in the middle of the screen,and various
other odd problems. If anybody could tell me how to go about fixing this
I would greatly appreciate it.
-Ben < meak4763@student.suu.edu >

Some of this sounds like an X problem rather than gnome problem. Have you tried other wms (AfterStep, wmaker, icewm, etc), and if so, do they exhibit similar problems?

You can reconfigure X with the command "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"; it sounds like you have some "virtual resolution" issues, where, say, a 1024x768 environment is glued on top of an 800x600 foundation.

Kent