Re: Setting up the mail program

* Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> [01-02-2003 07:28]:
> I think even you can agree, though, that it's really annoying when
> someone asks a question that is either currently being discussed or is
> in the last three months of archives and thus is still timely and yet
> easy to google.  <keyword> site:lists.debian.org will search the
> archives more effectively than the search function on the site
> itself...and all the mailing lists even!

Ofcourse you are right from your perspective. However asking good
questions is more than half way to finding the answer.

I try to search in all the usual places before asking questions and
can find most answers. Sometimes digesting the information
or asking the right question is a problem. For instance I have
started reading a c++ book. On page 10 the author includes conio.h
which seems to be a DOS library. I can't find the answer which
library provides a getch() to code a "Press any key to continue".

The funny thing is, I have used the book before a couple of years
ago and remember having the same problem. At that time however I
was able to find a solution. I found the correct library to
include or used another function which did the same. Either way it
was only a few keystrokes to help me on my way.

Conio.h is a c++-faq and yet I can't reconstruct what I did a couple
of years ago.

I am using another (also better) book now ;).

Another thing I have noticed is that some people experience
beauty in finding solutions to their problem, while other people
just want to read mail, start x, print their resume or ....

Nine times out of ten I believe I belong to the first group but
inevitably sometimes I just want sh*t to work.

Bob