Re: Fun sound problem

* Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> [030130 09:02]:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 05:47:12PM -0800, Eric Nelson wrote:
> > Nice board, have you tried the alsa website for drivers?
>
> Erf.  I was hoping for the simplicity of using OSS.  My understanding
> is that ALSA is Not Trivial to use, requiring ALSA aware programs;
> from a usability, it seems like the pain to install of any third-party
> kernel features, with the inconvienence similar to esound or arts
> requiring ALSA aware programs.  I'll use it if I have to, but I
> consider it a last resort.

Okay, I am going to stick my foot in it here, because I have been having
a "challenging" time getting sound and the apps I use to happily coexist.

Here is what I did, and what I have running.  I opted for esound as
after fiddling around it seems to work with the apps I am interested in:
So, sawfish sounds (really not important but a bonus) happily work with esd
mplayer - this was a challenge, and figured out the problem was to use
the libsdl1.2debian-esd package so all sdl sound powered apps play
nicely with esd.
xmms - has an esd module installed in the default package, just choose
it in preferences under output module (the default is OSS)
dgen (secret shame) - also requires sdl, and before like mplayer was not
happy with the sound packages, so now it works with esd
flash plugins seem happy to work with esd as well, but I think that it
just goes with whatevers working at the time, before it worked with esd
or there was no sound daemon working, it used to freeze up the browser
if I was listening to music which was amazingly annoying.
Realplayer (cbc radio, voice of the homeland) - as an esound option
These are all the sound using apps I use at the moment, and they can now
all work together.  I have heard a lot about alsa, and have installed
the packages, but from an ignorant point of view (mine) the esd option
seems to work well.

the only thing I do is have a startup script and on of the things I
enable is esd &

As to playing cds this seems to by pass all the other sound drivers
somehow and just play directly in xmms and others (hence not being able
to adjust with the equalizer etc.)

I looked into ARTS, but found it doesn't mix sounds, all it seems to do
is shut down one stream and start playing the other stream.  The
advantage is that it didn't crash the computer, which is what was
happening when I didn't have anything managing sound, and started
playing two streams at once, but is still not a viable option.

hth,

rohan