new trouble printing from current Debian/Sid system

This may be related to recent upgrades on the Sid packages.
As recently as Tuesday, 01/28/03, this machine was printing
just fine.  Now however, I cannot even get a wake up from
the printer.

The printer is a usb interface, Lexmark z23 hanging off
/dev/usb/lp0.  I use lprng and have a current debian/sid system.

The print queue shows a single job active in the queue, but
nothing is coming out.  A typical queue output looks like

 sleeping 10 at 13:53:50.644 Rank   Owner/ID                          Class
Job Files                 Size Time active root@pcp483125pcs+603        A
603 /root/y.txt           2335 3:53:50

I have tried clearing the queue, start and stop lprng, rebooting,
turning off the printer, etc.  I suspect some type of recent security fix
prevents use of the port.  Or something in the new libraries has
caused the port to appear busy when it is really not busy at all.

I also should mention another message related to this problem.
I am not sure what process is submitting this message, but it
appears to be from the lexmarkz23 filter/driver called by lprng to
process the job:

Jan 31 13:54:00 pcp483125pcs (Server)[1604]: lexmarkz33: Update_status: no identifier for 'hfA603'

--
James D. Freels, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory