Re: OT: how to convert apple/mac .dmg to .iso images?

At 1044043709s since epoch (01/31/03 09:08:29 -0500 UTC), Nicos Gollan wrote:
> On Friday 31 January 2003 12:53, funky soul wrote:
> > i'm wondering if anybody knows how to convert .dmg CD images(?) created
> > under MacOS to iso9660 images.

> Disclaimer: I don't know zilch about those images.
>
> Chances are that those images are the same thing as iso's with another
> extension. To verify this, you could try to mount such an image locally with
> type iso9660. If this works and you get a readable result, it's all fine.

That depends on the image.  Several image formats are supported by
Apple's utility, and they have different properties.  The images
support native compression (zlib), as well as various filesystem
formats (hfs, iso, hfs+), and even encryption.

The file format is called UDIF (Universal Disk Image Format), and to
the best of my knowledge the only tool that works with the format is
apple's 'hdiutil'.  For information on the tool and the format, see:

http://www.hmug.org/man/1/hdiutil.html

Unfortunately, the utility is not part of Darwin (the open-source part
of the system); it's only included with Mac OS X.  Thus, you have
little chance of finding a port for Linux.

Of course, you can always burn the .dmg file onto an ISO9660 disc; any
mac you put the disc in will be able to mount the image off of the
CD.  However, you won't have direct access to the image, which you
might want if you need to boot directly off of a CD.

Finally, if you have access to the mac, you can always use it to
convert the image into ISO, and then copy it to your linux box to
burn.  Obviously, this is only useful if you have a mac with no CD
burner; otherwise you would just burn the CD from the mac!

Hope that helps (or at least clears some things up),

Jason

--
Jason Healy
http://www.logn.net/