Re: Actiontec Problem Restated

Well, at least you're not alone. I have the _exact_ same problem with a brand new USB Wisecom wireless card prism2.5 based. As we don't get solution from the linux-wlan-ng mail list, i make cc of this messege to Joey, just in case he is able to point us in the right direction (my last shot).

--
bye,

Hugo Espuny                 hec@espuny.net | GNUPG key:
debian developer            hec@debian.org | pub  1024D/E8074ECF 2002-06-28
For more info, visit http://www.debian.org | sub  1024g/2953AFAB 2002-06-28
GNUPG key fingerprint:   D324 3DC4 1F2A 0936 DEB9  A4D9 D24A 8237 E807 4ECF

| "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe, huh!                     |
|  Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.                        |
|  I've watched C-beams glittering in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.  |
|  All those moments will be lost in time, like tears ... in the rain.    |
|  Time to die."                                                          |
|    -- Roy Batty, nexus 6 Tyrrel Corp. replicant, 2019 AC, L.A. --       |

Original message follows:

   * /To/: debian-user@lists.debian.org
     <mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org>
   * /Subject/: Actiontec Problem Restated
   * /From/: "Thomas H. George,,," <georgeacct@spininternet.com
     <mailto:georgeacct@spininternet.com>>
   * /Date/: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:29:07 -0500
   * /Old-return-path/: <georgeacct@spininternet.com>
   * /User-agent/: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.0)
     Gecko/20020623 Debian/1.0.0-0.woody.1

My previous request for help drew no responses: was probably poorly stated. Here is a better recap.

1. The Actiontec Instructions (Probably Based on Redhat)

a) Add to the Wireless Section

card "Actontec Wireless PC Card 802.11b"
manfid 0x1668, 0x0101
bind "orinoco_cs"

Comment: I edited these lines into /etc/pcmcia/config. This seemed reasonable in
view of the next instruction, particularly as config contains similar
entries.

b) vi /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and add the following at the bottom:

*,*,*,00:20:E0:*)
MODE="managed"
ESSID="any"
KEY="off"
;;

Comment: I used my lan ESSID instead of any.

c) vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
This should be a blank document. Add this to it

DEVICE =eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
TYPE=Ethernet

Comment: There was no sysconfig directory in /etc. I created one but probably
this is not the right instruction for Debian.

d) After that you should be able to put in the command:
ifup eth1

to bring up the card.

Comment: ifup eth1 reports interface eth1 already configured but the card doesn't
come up and ifconf -a does not report eth0 or eth1.

2. The linux-wlan-ng Instructions (There are several versions. I did the following)

a) Ensure that the pcmcia-cd source tree is in a subdirectory of /usr/src/modules .... Note that ... /usr/src/pcmcia-cs.tar.gz when unpacked in the /usr/srd directory places
the pcmcia-cs source tree in the correct location.
Go to /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs
Execute debian/rules binary-modules

b) Untar linux-wlan-ng-0.1.15.tar.gz.
Comment: I put the tarball in /usr/src and unpacked as instructed.

Make sure you have a configured kenel and (optionally) pcmcia sources on your system. Note, if you are only building ... prism2_usb drivers you don't need the
pcmcia source tree.

To configure the linux-wlan-ng package, run 'make config'. Answer the questions.

Comment: I said yes only to Build Prism2.5 USB (_usb) driver.

Run 'make all'

Run 'make install'

c) FOR USB USERS:
modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1

Comment: This runs ok.

wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable

Comment: This produces the following:

hfa384x_docmd: hfa384x_docmd:ctlx failure=REQ_TIMEOUT
hfa384x_drvr_start: hfa384x_drvr_startcmd_initialize() failed, result = -5
prism2sta_ifstate: hfa384x_drvr_start() failed, result=-5
hfa384x_usbin_callback: hfa384_usbin_callback:Fatal, failed to resubmit rx_urb.
error=-12
message=lnxreq_ifstate
ifstate=enable
resultcode=implementation_failure

SUMMARY

ifconfig -a reports wlan0.
cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers reports prism2_usb.
lsmod reports prism2_usb and p80211.

After bootup syslog contains

usb.c: unhandled interfaces on device
usb.c: USB device 3 (vendor/prod 0x1668/0x421) is not claimed by any active driver

and kern.log contains

NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for linux NET4.0
ds: no socket drivers loaded!

One other setup detail. One of the instructions was to edit /etc/modutils/linux-wlan-ng and uncomment the appropriate line. I uncommented alias wlan0 prism2_usb.

This has been a very long entry but I am stumpted. I hope someone can help.