ATI Rage

Can someone please tell me what the options for Direct Rendering Manger and Video under modconf are for?

Specifically, when utilizing an ATI card.  If I enable the ATI under Direct Rendering Manager, it doesn’t seem to make much difference.  But if I enable the ATI under the Video driver section, my screen gets badly corrupted, and my only recovery option is either to have previously memorized the keystrokes to remove it in modconf – or re-install.

And using ATI in X-windows doesn’t work for me, I’m using the VESA option.

Daniel