Re: Problem printing man pages (Correction)

Wayne Topa(brittman@capital.net) is reported to have said:
> Colin Watson(cjwatson@debian.org) is reported to have said:
> > On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:53:24AM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
> <
> --snip fix from previous post -->

> > > Sorry, the pages display (to the screen) fine but I am unable to print
> > > (to the printer) without them looking like  ^[[1mNAME^[[0m
> >
> > Neither this nor your answer above is supposed to happen. Could you tell
> > me exactly what you're doing so that I can try to reproduce it?
>
> Not sure I get what you mean but here is what is happening.
> I can do 'man man' and it displays fine on the screen ie no formating
> characters.  I do recall it did display the control chars for a short
> time but that was a long time ago.
>
> If I do
> man man | a2ps -2 --catman
> or
> man man | a2ps
> or
> man man | lpr
> or
> man man | lp

I used man 'man' as an example.  It turns out it was a bad example as
the above commands print the man manpages correctly!

Changing the 'man man' to 'man apt-file' would be a correct example.

So the problem only applies to 'some' man pages and IIRC that was also
the case in the original post on this problem months ago.  I have just
printed the 1st page of about 30 other manpages and can't find another
'example', yet.  There goes my 'save the trees' effort.

Sorry if this caused you unnecessary work.

--
You forgot to do your backup 16 days ago. Tomorrow you'll need that
version.