Re: Problem printing man pages

Colin Watson(cjwatson@debian.org) is reported to have said:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:53:24AM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
<
--snip fix from previous post -->

> > > By the way, if you're actually printing man pages to paper (I'm not sure
> > > from your post if you mean printing to screen or printing to paper),
> > > consider using the -t option to man to generate PostScript output.
> >
> > Sorry, the pages display (to the screen) fine but I am unable to print
> > (to the printer) without them looking like  ^[[1mNAME^[[0m
>
> Neither this nor your answer above is supposed to happen. Could you tell
> me exactly what you're doing so that I can try to reproduce it?

Not sure I get what you mean but here is what is happening.
I can do 'man man' and it displays fine on the screen ie no formating
characters.  I do recall it did display the control chars for a short
time but that was a long time ago.

If I do
man man | a2ps -2 --catman
or
man man | a2ps
or
man man | lpr
or
man man | lp

I get the control characters on each line ( This was 'not' the case 5-6 months ago)

When you posted the fix a few months back, my printer had recently bit
the dust, but I had seen the problem a week or so before that.  I got
a new printer (HP LaserJet 6P) for Christmas and noticed that the
control character problem was still there.  I have been looking for
your post on how to fix it since then.

Using the ' man -t | lpr -o number-up=2 -P Laser_6P' has fixed it.  It
isn't as nice a printout as from a2ps but it does get the job done.

System here is stable/testing
manpages   1.48-2
groff      1.18-7
a2ps       4.13b-16
cupsys     1.1.15-4
Last dist-upgrade this AM.  I do see that there is a new cupsys &
groff in unstable but I don't want to jump there just now..

Hope that this is enough info for you.  If not, let me know.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Wayne
--
The fortune program is supported, in part, by user contributions and by
a major grant from the National Endowment for the Inanities.