Re: pppd on demand trouble

Sigmund Svertingsson wrote:
Greetings, all.

I'm running Woody on an old Pentium box as my gateway/firewall/fileserver for my LAN here at Castillo del Lago (my home). Life is good here, and I'm really enjoying Debian, but I'm kind of stuck with the demand dialing thing.

If I comment out the "demand" and "persist" statements in /etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp/peers/provider, I can say "pppd call provider" and the modem dials (and I post to the list asking for help). I do get "tdb_store failed: IO Error," but the link comes up fine, and here I am.

If I uncomment "demand" and "persist," when I call pppd and then point the browser of one of my masq'ed machines outside of my LAN, the Woody box just sits there. Oh, I also have smbd running on the Woody box (shouldn't matter, I would think.)

This is obviously a problem that has been solved, just not by me :-/

I don't know what else to toss out in the way of info for now, but will cheerfully provide more if asked.

Thanks,

Siggy

One thing I have discovered in Debian to get Demand Dialing to work is the need to change a file name in /etc/ppp/... you have to change "no_ppp_on_boot" to "ppp_on_boot".

In order to understand this, try to decypher the /etc/init.d/ppp initscript. It uses the presence of this file as a "trigger" to decide whether to start the pppd program in the demand mode at boot time or not. In the demand mode, pppd is started and initialized to the point of doing the dialing, but stops there and waits for an appropriate packet the come along to make the call. Without the file name change, it will NOT "initialize" into the demand mode, even if you have the "demand" function in your options file(s).

I would also suggest you open up this file with a text editor (no_ppp_on_boot) and read the comments there. There are some useful things that you can do with it if you are interested in having them.

HTH,

-Don Spoon-