Re: pppd on demand trouble

Sigmund Svertingsson wrote:
Greetings, all.

I'm running Woody on an old Pentium box as my gateway/firewall/fileserver for my LAN here at Castillo del Lago (my home). Life is good here, and I'm really enjoying Debian, but I'm kind of stuck with the demand dialing thing.

If I comment out the "demand" and "persist" statements in /etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp/peers/provider, I can say "pppd call provider" and the modem dials (and I post to the list asking for help).

are you getting a connection from the dial-up server or from onr of you lan machines ?

I do get "tdb_store failed: IO Error," but the link comes up fine, and here I am.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tdb_store+failed%3A+IO+Error
seems to be a samaba problem

If I uncomment "demand" and "persist," when I call pppd and then point the browser of one of my masq'ed machines outside of my LAN, the Woody box just sits there.

did you restart pppd ?

is the dial-up server a default gateway for the lan machines ?

Oh, I also have smbd running on the Woody box (shouldn't matter, I would think.)

This is obviously a problem that has been solved, just not by me :-/

I don't know what else to toss out in the way of info for now, but will cheerfully provide more if asked.

if it's still not working

send us the output of `ifconfig eth0` for both machines

and `ifconfig ppp0` for the dial-up server when pppd is running but the line is down.

--

Sean