Re: pppd on demand trouble

Hi,
   I seem to remember if you use DEMAND dialing you shouldn't use PERSIST
and  vice versa - one or the other only. Seems logical if you think about
it.. Personally I use demand with an idle set for 10 minutes so that my ppp
is dropped if I don't access the network for 10 minutes at a time.

Hope this is helpful,
Kevin

Greetings, all.

I'm running Woody on an old Pentium box as my
gateway/firewall/fileserver for my LAN here at Castillo del Lago (my
home).  Life is good here, and I'm really enjoying Debian, but I'm kind
of stuck with the demand dialing thing.

If I comment out the "demand" and "persist" statements in
/etc/ppp/options and /etc/ppp/peers/provider, I can say "pppd call
provider" and the modem dials (and I post to the list asking for help).
I do get "tdb_store failed: IO Error," but the link comes up fine, and
here I am.

If I uncomment "demand" and "persist," when I call pppd and then point
the browser of one of my masq'ed machines outside of my LAN, the Woody
box just sits there.

Oh, I also have smbd running on the Woody box (shouldn't matter, I would
think.)

This is obviously a problem that has been solved, just not by me :-/

I don't know what else to toss out in the way of info for now, but will
cheerfully provide more if asked.

Thanks,

Siggy