Re: exim and relaying -- for ONE user

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:07:55PM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> >anybody got a pointer to an english version of how to set up
> >smtp authentication via exim 3.3?
>
> I won't pretend to own a clue, myself.  Maybe you should try
> the O'Reilly book, _Exim_, "Official Guide For Release 3", by
> Philip Hazel (talk about straight from the horse's mouth).
> Chapter 15, *Authentication, Encryption, and Other SMTP
> Processing* would seem to be the answer to your problem.
>
> The author cites common cases, among them;
>
> 	"An employee with a laptop is away from base, and wants to
> 	be able to connect from arbitrary locations and send
> 	outgoing mail via the server back at home.  Even without a
> 	laptop, someone might want to do this from a cybercafe, or
> 	other 'foreign' client.
>
> 	"An employee has a dial-up ISP account at home that uses a
> 	different IP address each time a new connection is made, so
> 	host_accept_relay cannot be used."

yep, that's exactly the solution i'm looking for. and from your
excerpt (thanks much, for that, by the way) i can tell it's not
just an exact replica of the manual.

	$ grep -ri cybercafe /usr/share/doc/exim/manual.html/
	$

cool. my hopes rise... (and thank you for that.)

> --
> gt                               kk5st@sbcglobal
> If what you're doing doesn't work, stop doing it.

tell me about it. i've been quite nearly there.

(if i get this nailed before my sanity leaves for dubuque, i'll
CERTAINLY post my own how-to, probably as a permanent addition
to the newbiedoc project. if not, i'll miss my mind sumthin'
turribul.)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #102 from Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
:
Trying to LEARN ABOUT DEBIAN? Check out the links here:
http://pub13.ezboard.com/fiwetheylinux.showMessage?topicID=649.topic&index=39