Re: exim and relaying -- for ONE user

Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> Note, however, that AUTH PLAIN isn't very secure.  You should only
> allow it if the client has first initiated a TLS connection.  That
> requires first setting up TLS.  I don't know if exim 3 can restrict it
> to a TLS session only, or how to do it.  Either read the docs or
> upgrade to exim 4 (I know how to check that in exim4).

Exim3 can restrict it like exim4. You forgot the LOGIN method that is needed
by some clients. CRAM-MD5 should not be needed as TLS should really be
secure enough, isn't it? ;)

> An alternative to using exim's own lookup and crypt capabilities is to
> defer to pam.  There are several advantages of this, for one you can
> use any backend (flat file, system account, LDAP, SQL, etc.) that pam
> supports.  If you use shadow passwords for system accounts and want
> exim to use the same for SMTP AUTH you'll have to either run exim as
> the 'shadow' group, or make the shadow file readable by the exim
> group.  To configure this method :

Did you tried using pam_exim? It works great, letting exim continue to run
as non-root and still using pam (using an external suid-root pam helper).

HS