Re: how to setup a MX record?

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:01:43PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> The sender verify callout operates by attempting to deliver a bounce
> message (but stopping before actually sending the message) to the
> sender.  The sender is given in the MAIL FROM: command, and in this
> case is roman@gecko.romanofski.de.  If I try to, manually, send an
> email to that address this is what I get :
>
> $ host -t mx gecko.romanofski.de
>     # no MX record, fall back to A record
> $ host -t a gecko.romanofski.de
> gecko.romanofski.de has address 217.69.252.56
> $ telnet 217.69.252.56 smtp
> Trying 217.69.252.56...
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
>
> The result is that roman@gecko.romanofski.de is not a valid email
> address.  If the remote server had accepted the message, then had some
> failure in delivering it, it would be unable to notify you with a
> bounce message.
Ah.. i c.
gecko is my system where im working on. We get a static IP from our provider and
my hosting provider set the domain to gecko.romanofski.de.

> What is your email address supposed to be?  Is it roman@romanofski.de?
> Or is it romanjoost@gmx.de?  Which do you want to use as the return
> address for mail you send out?  The answers here will determine how
> you should set the rewrite rules in exim to correct the address.

Allright - so i've to define the rules in exim. I thought, it is not necessery,
because mutt does that for me ;)

Thanks for that great help!!

Greetings,

	Roman