Re: Cdrecord and audio cd

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 07:00:10AM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> >
> > After I drop in the cd and close it, the lights do come up for a couple
> > of seconds. It happens even the 'cd' is just a piece of plastic. That is
> > the end of it. gtcd/kcd/xmms/etc say that there is no cd in the drive.
> > Same with cdparanoia.

Sorry, I didn't see the original post, but I have had this happen to me
several times.  It seems that every once in a while I find a CD that the
Plextor drive in my main machine won't even recognize that a CD is in the
drive.  And these CD's are several years old so I don't think they are
copy protected.

What is strange is that usually I can move the CD to another machine which
has a DVD-ROM drive and it will read it just fine.  Sometimes the opposite
is true as well.  A few days ago I tried to rip a CD-R (by a local band
which released it that way, not a duplicate) and CD paranoia could not rip
it in the DVD drive.  However I moved it to the Plextor CD recorder drive
and CD paranoia ripped it just fine.

Have you tried it in a different machine?

-Scott