Re: Cdrecord and audio cd

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 07:00:10AM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 12:21:36AM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
>    >
>    > The first thing I do when I've got a weird/damaged/odd CD is let
>    > cdparanoia have a go at it.  If it can't read it, you've got serious
>    > issues.
>    >
> Yes, cdparanoia has done that for me.
>
>    > That said, what do you mean it can't sense it?  Does the aforementioned
>    > cdparanoia rip it?  Can it detect it at least?
>
> After I drop in the cd and close it, the lights do come up for a couple
> of seconds. It happens even the 'cd' is just a piece of plastic. That is
> the end of it. gtcd/kcd/xmms/etc say that there is no cd in the drive.
> Same with cdparanoia.

Can you play it by using the play button on the CD drive instead of
software, with linux running? With windoze running on the same box?
With a dysfunctional DOS boot floppy in the floppy drive so it's stuck at
"Missing operating system"?

> As mentioned in my first post, the same cd plays fine on standalone
> cd player. That leads me to suspect that there is something linux
> specific about this issue. Even after I made an audio cd using cdrecord,
> linux programs do not recognize this. I have done this before and never
> came across this problem.

Have you done it since? If you record a different audio CD today using
cdrecord, does it give the same problem?

You mentioned that you copied this CD by playing it on your standalone
CD player and recording a bunch of .wavs. (Or just one big .wav?) Did
you transfer the signal as an analogue signal or via S/PDIF?

If it was a bunch of .wavs as opposed to one big one, what happens
when you reorder them and burn a CD with a different first track?

Pigeon