Re: Backup Consensus?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 12:37:57PM +0000,
Kevin.Bewley@camr.org.uk wrote:
> I use the Make CD Recovery program (http://mkcdrec.ota.be/).
> What it does is allow me to make a Multi-CD, bootable backup
> of my Debian filesystem.  So, in the case of disaster recovery
> I can boot from disk one and reinstall the whole thing from
> the CDs. At my current fs size of 3Gb this fits on 5 CD's, at
> 20p a disk this costs me about 1 of your english quids per
> backup.  I guess I could use CD-RW's but I ain't too bothered
> about it.
>
> Make CD Revovery _might_ do compression if you need it though
> to cut down on the number of disks - but I've never checked.

a bootable cd collection as a backup. now that's *cool*.

ever had to use it (to make *sure* the restore works)?

====

OT: so where's the lexicon that relates quid, guinea, bob,
shilling, pence, pound and so forth, for the ignorant
north-americaner? :)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #16 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Why are *.rpm (RED HAT PACKAGES) considered spawn of Satan?
Because the Debian package system is a lot more sophisticated
than the one Red Hat uses; lots more inter-dependency information
is built in to a *.deb package. If you bypass that with an *.rpm
file, you're taking chances with your system. Try to "apt-get
install <debian-only>" packages if possible. (Also check out the
"alien" package if you must.)