mozilla failing to SMTP-AUTH

Mozilla Mail (1.2.1i-9) apparently can't do CRAM-MD5 or DIGEST-MD5 (or
can it?). So I'll let it do PLAIN through SSL and configure the SMTP
Server in Mozilla to contact port 465 (smtps) and to always use SSL.

When I now try to send an email, the 465/tcp session doesn't get
further than the SYN request from client to server. The server never
responds with a SYN-ACK.

However, when I do

  openssl s_client -connect server:465

I am presented with the SMTP welcome header. So it seems to work on
the server side.

What could be the problem?

--
Please do not CC me! Mutt (www.mutt.org) can handle this automatically.

`. `'`

NOTE: The pgp.net keyservers and their mirrors are broken!
Get my key here: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/gpg/330c4a75.asc