Re: Oh no, what a really heavy bummer

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 16:26, Pigeon wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:22:44PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Here's how I do it:
> > # apt-get source gqview=1.0.2-1
> > # export CC=gcc-3.2 -Wall -O2 -mcpu=pentiumpro
> > # apt-get --compile source gqview=1.0.2-1
> > # dpkg -i gqview.deb
> >   alternatively:
> > # apt-get --compile source gqview=1.0.2-1
>
> Hmm. Just tried this... The 'apt-get source' works fine, but the
> 'apt-get --compile' doesn't. It wants to download the whole lot again;
> it appears to have forgotten that it's just done that. (ie, it does
> what man apt-get seems to suggest it will do.)
>
> Does this mean that I have to put a deb-src file: line in
> sources.list, and cobble together a Packages file to sit in the
> download directory? I've tried this, creating the Packages file by
> cutting out the relevant package from the Debian Packages file and
> changing the package directory to the local one, and it appears to be
> working as I type, but is there a better way of doing it?

Attached is the transscript of exactly what happened when I ran it.

Btw, I used an modified version of the script, which allows it to
be more generic:
  export CC=gcc-3.2
  export CFLAGS='-Wall -O2 -march=pentiumpro'
  export CXX=g++-3.2
  export CFLAGS='-Wall -O2 -m486'

  pnam=gqview
  pver='=1.0.2-1'

  apt-get source ${pnam}${pver}
  apt-get --compile source ${pnam}${pver}

Note this bit from the "apt-get --compile source ${pnam}${pver}"
command:
   Need to get 647kB of source archives.
   Get:1 http://mirrors.kernel.org sarge/main gqview 1.0.2-1 (dsc)
                                                          [630B]
   Get:2 http://mirrors.kernel.org sarge/main gqview 1.0.2-1 (tar)
                                                          [643kB]
   Get:3 http://mirrors.kernel.org sarge/main gqview 1.0.2-1 (diff)
                                                          [3679B]
   Fetched 3B in 0s (13B/s)
  Skipping unpack of already unpacked source in gqview-1.0.2

So, apt-get goes out to get the source, but sees that the source
already exists in the current directory, and then skips the source
download.

Ron
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |