Re: mozilla failing to SMTP-AUTH

martin f krafft wrote:

> Mozilla Mail (1.2.1i-9) apparently can't do CRAM-MD5 or DIGEST-MD5 (or
> can it?). So I'll let it do PLAIN through SSL and configure the SMTP
> Server in Mozilla to contact port 465 (smtps) and to always use SSL.
>
> When I now try to send an email, the 465/tcp session doesn't get
> further than the SYN request from client to server. The server never
> responds with a SYN-ACK.
>
> However, when I do
>
>   openssl s_client -connect server:465
>
> I am presented with the SMTP welcome header. So it seems to work on
> the server side.
>
> What could be the problem?

Port 465 is only for old clients that do not use the STARTTLS command. Do
not use it, Mozilla will do the STARTTLS command when you tell it to use
SSL/TLS (simply don't try to be smarter than the program) before sending
the AUTH command (a good configured server will not allow AUTH without
previous STARTTLS).
Also CRAM-MD5 does not make much sense if the password is already encrypted
via SSL, except the case that you do not even trust that server (but then,
why do you use it).

HS