Re: External serial modem advice ?

To deal with a modem for an unattended server, buy a clock-switch that is intended to turn on the lights at night to make your home appear occupied, but instead use it to cycle off your modem for 5 or 10 minutes at some time of day when you surely will not want to log in remotely. e.g. 0300 to 0315 local time.

Paul

Michael D. Crawford wrote:

Be aware that although any serial modem will work with Linux, some serial modems don't work well for any system.

I have a Hayes Accura 336/56k fax modem that mostly works well with Linux. But sometimes the modem becomes unresponsive and the only way I can get it to work again is to power cycle it. That happens regardless of the OS on the computer it's connected to.

That's OK for the way I usually use it, but for an unattended server it would be a drag. I would like to be able to log into my office network while I'm traveling, but I can't really count on my modem working.

It's really sad to see that from a Hayes product. I have also used a Hayes 1200 (that I bought for $700!) and a Hayes 28.8, and they were both rock-solid. Each gave years of performance without a hint of trouble.

Mike