Re: Mount problems

Hi,

->>
->> I am facing this problem with mounting vfat partitions. I have
->> a directory named /cdrive and mount my vfat partions on it. As root
->> user
->> or as an odinary user the permissons of cdrive always get changed to
->> 744. I have tried changing the permisions to 777 as root user but I am
->> unable to do so. It just refuses.
->
->(Don't you mean 755 (rwxr-xr-x)? 744 is rwxr--r--. Hint: think binary:
->rwxr--r-- -> 111100100 (binary) -> 744 (octal) )

Since the drive was getting mounted at startup it mounts with root as
the owner and group. So wanted to put 777 so that an odinary user to
actually mv files to that partition. Since I am the only person using
the computer I figured putting 777 was okay.

However no matter what combination I try as any user it just refuses
to let me set the permissions as 755. The permissions that it sets at
mount time (mounting as root or odinary user) is 744 and I can't
change it to 755.

I have tried setting 777 before mounting but it reverts back 744.

Although the problem is partially solved with changing the option auto
in fstab to noauto, I didn't quite understand why I can't change
permissions of the mount point.

Thank you
regards
Harshu.