Re: Mount problems

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 05:58:17AM -0800, Harshu wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am facing this problem with mounting vfat partitions. I have
> a directory named /cdrive and mount my vfat partions on it. As root
> user
> or as an odinary user the permissons of cdrive always get changed to
> 744. I have tried changing the permisions to 777 as root user but I am
> unable to do so. It just refuses.

(Don't you mean 755 (rwxr-xr-x)? 744 is rwxr--r--. Hint: think binary:
rwxr--r-- -> 111100100 (binary) -> 744 (octal) )

This is because vfat doesn't know about anything other than
Windoze-style file permissions. There's no way to store Linux file
permissions on a vfat filesystem, so you just get 755 for everything
(555 for files that Windoze itself has marked as read-only).

> Due to this I am unable to access my files on the vfat partition as an
> odinary user. I have put a line /etc/fstab to allow mount on startup of
> the system and user (un)mountable.

Try unmounting the vfat partition and chgrp-ing its mount point to the
group of your ordinary user. Put "noauto" in your /etc/fstab so it
does NOT mount automatically on boot, but keep "user". Then remount
the partition *as your ordinary user*. You should then find that you
have permissions of 775 on everything and owner:group of your ordinary
user.

Having said this, I've just messed around with the permissions of a
dos partition and CAN'T get it to deny me write access as an ordinary
user UNLESS I mount it as root. (running woody / kernel 2.4.20)

Pigeon

> I would appreciate some suggestions.
>
> thank you
> regards
> Harshu
>
> =====
> Never underestimate the predictibitly of stupidity!

2 halves of plastic case held together by screws:

Sensible method - accessible with normal screwdriver, easy to locate
screw in hole when reassembling

  -----------------------------------  ----
                              |      ||
							  |  \\\\\\D  <- screw
                              |      ||

Japanese method - requires ridiculously long screwdriver, locating
screw in hole really hard, even determining the presence of a screw is
a challenge; if PITA-type screw (Torx head, etc) a screwdriver with
interchangeable bits is GUARANTEED NOT TO FIT DOWN THE HOLE.

     |      ||
     |  \\\\\\D  <- screw
     |      ||