Re: Howto redirect output from a terminal

-- Michael Kahle <michael.kahle@scc-wi.com> wrote
(on Wednesday, 29 January 2003, 10:48 AM -0600):
> I am not sure how to ask for what I want here.  But, here goes.  I was using
> dump to make a backup of a directory on my computer.  This was started from
> a terminal in X.  As it was running I could see in the terminal window all
> the status output from the program.  Good.  This backup job took a long time
> to complete and so I went home while the backup was still running.  When at
> home I ssh'd into the box to see if the dump process was still running, it
> was.  Then I got to thinking, how can I see the output of this program in my
> current ssh session?  Is there a program that exists to allow me to redirect
> the output of a program running in a terminal to another terminal?  I hope I
> am explaining this clearly.

redirect output to a file:
    dump > somefile

and then you can look at 'somefile' to see what's been happening, or use
'tail -f somefile' to see it happening in 'realtime'.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net