Re: Howto redirect output from a terminal

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 10:48 am, Michael Kahle wrote:
> I am not sure how to ask for what I want here.  But, here goes.  I was
> using dump to make a backup of a directory on my computer.  This was
> started from a terminal in X.  As it was running I could see in the
> terminal window all the status output from the program.  Good.  This backup
> job took a long time to complete and so I went home while the backup was
> still running.  When at home I ssh'd into the box to see if the dump
> process was still running, it was.  Then I got to thinking, how can I see
> the output of this program in my current ssh session?  Is there a program
> that exists to allow me to redirect the output of a program running in a
> terminal to another terminal?  I hope I am explaining this clearly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

two options.

the option I think you want is screen.

while in an xterm, start screen.  Now start executing commands like normal.
When you are ready to log out, type CTRL+A, CTRL+D to detach the screen
session.

Later, when you ssh back into your machine, type "screen -r" to re-attach that
session, just as it was.

the second option is to use script.  If you just want to capture the output of
a program, start script, execute stuff, and then type exit to stop script.
All screen ouput was logged to a file in the current directory.

-jason pepas