RE: HDD general (was: RE: HDD clicking)

First, thanks to those who answered.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at sometime, Pigeon wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 02:40:16PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 02:49:29PM -0500, Narins, Josh wrote:
> > > 	How do I calculate the difference in "cost to hard drive wear
> > > and tear from a single spin-up" to the cost of letting it
> run for a
> > > length of time?
> >
> > If it's a desktop box, don't worry about letting them spin down at
> > all, your speakers probably draw more power than your hard
> drive.  If
> > you *really* want to save power, look at the dpms options in xset to
> > turn your monitor off after a couple minutes.
>
> Think the question was about wearing out the HD mechanically, rather
> than saving power.

Thanks for understanding, Pigeon. Yes, wear and tear is my concern.
The machine is high-end, meaning it shouldn't be hampered by mem or cpu
constraints any time soon, I'd hate to have it become worth less because
of ill use of the hardware by the stupid user. Hey! That's me!

> > Let it spin when you're plugged in, since it's not like
> you're burning
> > battery right then.
>
> Laptop HDs are designed to start and stop a lot, so here it's a power
> issue. There's a fair amount of energy stored in the spinning platter,
> which is lost when you spin down, so spinning it up consumes
> more juice
> than leaving it running if the off periods are too short. 25 seconds
> seems a bit quick to me, maybe 2-5 minutes would be better.

I know my GKrellm indicates disk access. Disk access implies spinning.

I could write a bash script that figured out the best timing for my
usage patterns, if I had any idea what device (is it a device?) that
gkrellm is checking.

If it makes a difference, the laptop has devfs/devfsd running.

Thx again.

Although, for the record, I am wondering who is the boss, me or the
computer.
Is my entire existence going to be making it happier by tuning it forever?
I joke, of course. They joke about cats the same way. (you feed them, you
pet
them, you let them in and out, who is really boss?)