Re: autofs vs amd: Is there a preference?

-> Matus fantomas Uhlar wrote:
-> > i mean like
-> >
-> > /a -> /mount/a
-> > /b -> /mount/b
->
-> Ew...  /symlinks to network mounted locations are not recommended.

tey are not network mounted. They are floppies in my case. But this is the
only case how to allow users from window applications to force mount via
automoutner. I use manual mounts for now.

-> > /mount is mountes via autofs. ls -l /mount doesn't show anything after
-> > mount. ls -l /a /b shows only symlinks, but ls -l /a/ /b/ will mount both.
-> > (of course, if you don't have ls aliased with -L, -F etc which would stat
-> > the destination)
->
-> Agreed.  Thanks for the clarification.

-> > anything. This is not good for window applications and users which don't
-> > want to 'enter' the filename or directory manually.
->
-> Ah, so the real problem comes through.  For your windows application
-> you might consider 'direct' maps instead of 'host' or 'indirect'
-> maps.  However, they can be painful because they need to be driven as
-> things change.  A complete list of all available mounts.  And an 'ls
-> -l' of the trigger point can cause a mount storm.

direct maps? You mean:

a       -fstype=auto,sync               :/dev/fd0
c       -fstype=vfat                    :/dev/hda1
d       -fstype=ntfs                    :/dev/hda2
e       -fstype=iso9660,ro,nodev,nosuid :/dev/hdb

This doesn't work - create any directories. I still need explicit entering
directories or symlinks.

-> > -> It is not possible.  When you stat() a file you will need to get the
-> > -> inode information which is stored on the NFS server not on the client
-> > -> automounter.  The automounter must mount the underlying disk in order
-> > -> to get that information.  (This is one cause of "mount storms" in the
-> > -> above mentioned not-recommended configurations.  Running 'ls -l' on a
-> > -> symlink farm will stat() each and mount all.)
-> >
-> > of course, the information should be fake until the underlying filesystem is
-> > mounted. But it would help in the case i described above
->
-> Of course if you break the normal system disk paradigm other people
-> will strongly claim it is a bug.  So it can't show made up data.

Well, i really saw in TODO this:

autofs v5 TODO list
* visible mountpoints

I think that is exactly what I need...

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
 BSE = Mad Cow Desease ... BSA = Mad Software Producents Desease