Re: ext 3 partitions (was Re: SOLVED :-) Re: error on root filesystem DEBIAN WON'T BOOT )

Joris Huizer said:
> I did the tune2fs stuff but when I change the ext2 to
> ext3 in /etc/fstab I get weird stuff: errors about the
> kernel not being able to handle it or something and
> the boot stops soon after that; (vi isn't even found,
> I have to use sed to change the /etc/fstab back again
> (in case it states it's ext2 the boot is successfully.

what kernel? ext3 is not maintained in 2.2.x anymore, so if
you plan to use ext3 be sure you have a 2.4.x kernel. you
can cat /proc/filesystems to see what filesystems are supported
(this won't include any that are available as modules).

if your using a 2.2.x and want a journalling filesystem the best
bet is reiserfs. I think 2.2.21 is the latest kernel that supports
it, 2.2.19 is the latest kernel I've tested reiserfs on, have done
extensive testing for the past year or more, works wonderfully
with some known issues(e.g. software raid 1,5 not supported).

nate