Re: Alas and alack.

Scott Dier - dieman wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Brian Masinick wrote:

take software maintenance seriously.  Self managed systems can help
some, but it still takes involvement from people, and that will always
be the bottom line as far as I am concerned.

The argument was that source code patches aren't being distributed to
users fast enough, not that users avoid having to maintain their systems.

That may have been the argument in the article, but my argument stands. I think the greater problem is that systems aren't uniformly managed. Some are managed with great caution, research, and expertise, and others are not handled very well at all. I'd argue that the Debian approach DOES make updates available about as well as it can be done (with reliable, tested fixes, not just some quick, ugly hacks). Other systems may have good methods, too, and a few may not have very good mechanisms at all. I still say the majority of problems come from improperly maintained systems, not poor distribution.

--
Brian Masinick
mailto:masinick@yahoo.com