Re: Migrate from RedHat to Debian

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 01:44:10PM +0000, Jimbo De La Fuente wrote:

> How long are Debian-releases supported

Depends, but looking at the Debian news page, 2.2 (potato) was released
back on [15 Aug 2000].  There were several updates (7) to it.  It was
then finally replaced by 3.0 (woody) on [19 Jul 2002].  That's roughly a
2 year span.

> And before some-one states the obvious...yes I do install the kernel
> and the 'main' daemons from source

I've found this to be much less necessary when I started using Debian.

> What are the experiences other people have with migrating from RedHat to
> Debian.

The move to Debian was a welcome change.  Haven't looked back and doubt
I ever will.

> Are there any other options as a distro (I'm looking for a distro
> with security written in bold)?

Well, officially security updates currently only exist for the stable
release (currently woody).

--
Jamin W. Collins