Keyboard Lockup

Hi Folks,

I am having this wierd problem. When I launch a X session from the
prompt and exit the keyboard locks up and become unresponsive. This
happens only when I am the root user. The freeze up also happens when I
hit Cntrl+Alt+ Fn to switch to the terminal when running a X session.

The display card is ATI 3D Rage.(ati driver) The readme for ATI under
xserver-xfree86 says that lockup can occur when a wrong mouse is
choosen. I have a ps/2 mouse with scroll wheel (disabled) and it is
Dell Dimension 4300. I have ps/2 as the mouse driver. I am using the
unstable tree.

I would appreciate some pointers

Thank you
regards
Harshu

=====
Never underestimate the predictibitly of stupidity!