Re: Returned mail... am i relaying? aaugh!

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 04:10:33PM -0500, Jeremy Gaddis wrote:
> Something that I recommend for anyone putting a mail server
> on the 'net that's open to the public is to telnet to
> 'relay-test.mail-abuse.org' *FROM* the mail server.  The
> remote host will run a series of tests to see if your system
> will openly relay for it.

	most cool!
	Trying 204.152.187.123...
	Connected to cygnus.mail-abuse.org.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	[snippage]
	>>> rset
	<<< 250 Reset OK
	>>> QUIT
	<<< 221 server closing connection
	Tested host banner: 220 server ESMTP Exim 3.35 #1 Mon, 27 Jan
	2003 20:07:59 -0600
	System appeared to reject relay attempts
	Connection closed by foreign host.

"System appeared to reject relay attempts" ah, that's what we're
after. i feel much better. (i know that one barrage of tests
does not a secure email server make, but still--)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.4.20-k6 #1 Mon Jan 13 23:49:14 EST 2003 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #59 from Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com>
:
Wanting to SYNCHRONIZE YOUR SYSTEM CLOCK periodically? If you
think your system clock gathers or loses a few extra seconds
each day, you're probably looking for "ntp" which queries
several "network time protocol" servers, and sets your system
clock accordingly.
	apt-get install ntp ntp-simple ntp-doc ntpdate
then browse /usr/share/doc/ntp-doc/html for info.