Re: Backup Consensus?

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:32, Grant Bowman wrote:
> Is there a place where a general consensus has been reached on exactly
> what is necesary to backup a Debian system?  I'm sure this has been
> asked and answered many times before, so I am looking for URLs to where
> this has been discussed in the past.
>
> I apologize in advance, but I'm not a subscriber of this list.  Please
> cc me on replies.
>
> Thank you very much,

I use the Make CD Recovery program (http://mkcdrec.ota.be/). What it does
is allow me to make a Multi-CD, bootable backup of my Debian filesystem.
So, in the case of disaster recovery I can boot from disk one and reinstall
the whole thing from the CDs. At my current fs size of 3Gb this fits on 5
CD's, at 20p a disk this costs me about 1 of your english quids per backup.
I guess I could use CD-RW's but I ain't too bothered about it.

Make CD Revovery _might_ do compression if you need it though to cut down
on the number of disks - but I've never checked.

Hope this is useful for you, anyone else use this system? Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
Kevin

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  It may contain privileged and confidential information and if you are not an intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on +44 (0)1980 612100.  Please also destroy or delete the message from your computer.