Re: phoenix and java?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 08:28:26AM +0100, Robert Land wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 07:16:22PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 06:11:28PM +0100, Robert Land wrote:
> <snipped>
> > > and couldn't find anything on the Phoenix web page
> > > mentioning system requirements. Would someone kindly
> > > jump in and provide some advice?
> >
> > You need the woody libc6 to run phoenix; apart from that it seems to
> > be pretty self-contained.
> >
> > If you don't want to upgrade to woody you can still use it in potato:
> > - Download the woody libc6 .deb and unpack its data.tar.gz into a new
> > directory, say called c225, then do (as root)
> >
> > chroot c225 /sbin/ldconfig
>
> Thanks for your assistance - could you help me
> in understanding the command above? I assume
> chroot is used here to limit ldconfig only to
> the c225 dir - would ldconfig otherwise mess up
> the previously scanned libs?

Yes. When you unpack the data.tar.gz into the c225 directory, it
creates subdirectories c225/etc, c2225/lib, c225/sbin and so on under
that directory, in the same tree structure as the existing /etc, /lib
and so on. The chroot ensures that ldconfig only considers the
libraries found in c225, and writes ld.so.cache to c225/etc instead of
/etc. The resulting library configuration is local to the c225 dir and
does not mess up the existing main configuration.

Note also that /sbin/ldconfig is interpreted in the context of the
chroot, ie. c225 is taken as being / and the file which is actually
executed is therefore c225/sbin/ldconfig. This is the woody one, which
comes with the new C libraries; your existing one, apart from being in
the wrong place, isn't compatible.

When you come to run phoenix, it of course has to be run withOUT a
chroot so it can see X and anything else it needs on the main system.
The LD_LIBRARY_PATH setting in the shell script example ensures that
phoenix tries to link with its new C libraries in c225 in preference
to the existing ones, but can still see the main system lib
directories. The ld-linux bit ensures that it is doing so with the
woody dynamic linker, again because the potato one is incompatible
with the woody C libs.

> > - Unpack the phoenix package into c225/bin
> > - Make a shell script containing
> >
> > cd /path/to/c225
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/c225/usr/local/lib:/path/to/c225/usr/lib:/path/to/c225/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/lib
> > exec /path/to/c225/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /path/to/c225/bin/phoenix-bin
>
> Just curiously grepped for LD_LIBRARY_PATH in
> some dirs and noticed that perl seems to use
> this environment variable too. Is there some
> source of standard env. variables? - I have
> read so many howto's but never came across
> this topic and it does interest me.

I would like to know this too...

Pigeon