Re: /var still counts /var/cache

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 03:54:57PM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> I made a new partition for /var/cache since that's where all my data is.
> Unfortunately /var is still counting the contents of /var/cache and thinks
> that /var is full. I'm not sure how to tell /var that it doesn't hold
> /var/cache anymore.

Did you rm all the files from the old /var/cache before you mounted the
new filesystem on top of it? If you mount a new filesystem on /var/cache
you can't see the original contents, but they're still there. Other than
that, I've sometimes seen Linux ext2 filesystems that filled up
completely not drop below 100% again until they were fsck'd. fsck didn't
actually DO anything, it found no errors at all, but the filesystem went
from 100% down to the level where it was supposed to be.

--
Michael Heironimus