Re: /var still counts /var/cache

* Emma Jane Hogbin (emmajane@xtrinsic.com) [030127 13:12]:
> I made a new partition for /var/cache since that's where all my data is.
> Unfortunately /var is still counting the contents of /var/cache and thinks
> that /var is full. I'm not sure how to tell /var that it doesn't hold
> /var/cache anymore.

> /dev/hda2             464M   28M  412M   7% /
> /dev/hda3             4.6G  2.1G  2.4G  47% /home
> /dev/hda5             2.3G  1.3G  901M  60% /usr
> /dev/hda6             464M  439M  1.1M 100% /var
> /dev/hda7             2.8G   46M  2.6G   2% /usr/local
> /dev/hda9              46M   60K   44M   1% /tmp
> /dev/hda10            2.3G  333M  1.9G  15% /var/cache
>
> /var/cache has all the files it's supposed to, but /var thinks that it has
> them too.

Given the above output, it does.  It's not counting other filesystems'
space as its own (assuming that is the output from 'df' and not some
'find' script doing something unexpected...).

Did you clean out /var/cache before mounting the new parition on it?
There may be a bunch of old files sitting there, inacccessible to you
(since they're "masked out" by the mounting of hda10 on /var/cache) but
yet taking up space on /dev/hda6.  If you've copied everything over to
the new partition, clean out the old one, look at all the space you've
saved, remount the new /var/cache, and see that the amount of space on
/var hasn't changed across the mount operation.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/