Re: Mailman problems

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 09:03:58AM -0900, Andy wrote:

| Can anyone else comment about Mailman working with an Exim MTA?

mailman works well with any MTA, though, if you use the traditional
approach of manually maintaining /etc/aliases.

exim works very well and isn't hard to configure.  In addition, as
Stephen Gran posted, exim can be configured to automatically handle
all the mailman lists on your system.  The upshot of that is to create
a new list, simply create the list in mailman.  exim will find it
automatically and deliver to it.  That can actually be configured a
bit shorter, if you read the exim README mailman provides.

| I am about to install a Debian system for a customer to act as a file/print
| server but also to run Mailman to blast out newsletters to a mailing list of
| over 5,000 people.

Sounds fine.

| Does it matter which I use.......Exim or Qmail?

If you want to read a slightly dated, but well done, benchmark then
check this out :
    http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/postfix/vsqmail.html

Postfix is designed for very high performance.  Some of that comes
through a good modular design and long-running services.  exim follows
a traditional monolithic design and must re-exec itself many times and
each time it rereads the config file.  That, and a couple of other
features like duplicate address weeding, make it a bit slower.
However, as some users recently noted on postfix-users, postfix
has a greater (memory) overhead on a lightly loaded system.

You'll have to simply try it to see whether or not a 5000 member list
with your delivery requirements is too much for exim on your system.
Some tips to make it faster :
    1)  configure the MTA to accept a large number of recipients, but
            only from mailman (your own machine)
    2)  configure mailman to use the same return address for all
            recipients
    3)  configure mailman with the same recipient limit as you
            configured the MTA
    4)  don't "personalize" the messages
Those will allow the MTA to optimize the delivery as much as it can to
reduce the number of TCP connections it makes and minimize the amount
of actual data it must send out.

Personally I am opposed to qmail, mainly for reasons outlined here :
    http://www-dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/qmail-bugs.html
    http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html
however if you want to use it that is your choice^Wproblem <0.5 wink>.
The second link gives the reason there is no debian package for qmail
(only a source package).

-D

--
If you want to know what God thinks about money,
just look at the people He gives it to.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/