Re: "debian rookie" trying to get his bearings...

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 12:57, Kent West wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> >The Unix Way [to disable automatic starting of init scripts] is to rename
> >S20apache to K20apache.  That way, you can
> >see what's been explicitly turned off, and you'll know that if it's
> >not in /etc/rc2.d/ then it hasn't been installed.
> >
> >Remeber to also rename /etc/rc6.d/K??apache !!!
> >

> How about renaming S20apache to NOS20apache? This way, you can see at a
> glance which scripts are start scripts, which are kill scripts, and
> which are scripts that have been disabled by the sysadmin, as opposed to
> wondering which of the K scripts were made that way by "the system' and
> which were made that way by the sysadmin.
>
> It also might save a few nano-seconds during boot-up as the NO scripts
> don't have to be parsed as do the K scripts.

That's just as valid.  Really, it doesn't matter what you rename them
to, since the startup only looks at S*.  Me, I prefer renaming things
to, for example __S20foobar.

(I don't do it The Unix Way... So sue me! <grin>)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |