Re: tune2fs ext2 -> ext3

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 05:47:33PM +0100, Manuel Ifland wrote:
> where did you read to do a "touch /forcefsck"? In my opinion
> this command only creates a file called "forcefsck" in the root
> directory if not already there. Not more or less.
> I can only guess that by issuing this command, you turn off
> further file system checks at boot. But I can not believe that
> this works that way (see point 4) below).

No.  /forcefsck is looked for during the boot process to force the
system to fsck all filesystems before it mounts them.  The system
deletes /forcefsck when it's done fscking.

> 4) Deactivate all further checks as they are no longer needed:
>    tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/hda2

Wrong.  Periodic filesystem checking is always a good idea, just
because you have a journal, no matter how good, still isn't 100%
bulletproof.  Just for thinking otherwise, do not pass go, do not
collect $200 and go back up your filesystem.  8:o)

You can never be too safe with your data.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user