Re: tune2fs ext2 -> ext3

In article <20030125111005$19bc@gated-at.bofh.it>, "Dave Selby" (dave_arahan@yahoo.co.uk)
wrote:
> Im planning to turn my ext2 to an ext3 .... after a system crash due to a
> winmodem driver running with dependency problems ..
>
> OK I get the bit about
>
> tune2fs -j /dev/hda2
>
> I dont get the bit about
>
> touch /forcefsck ????
>
> touch changes the file timestamps ? I cant find a reference to forcefsck in
> its man or info pages. Is it a switch of some kind ?
>
> I can understand doing a fsck, but this command sequence has thrown me !!
>
> Can anyone shed light ??

Hello Dave,

where did you read to do a "touch /forcefsck"? In my opinion
this command only creates a file called "forcefsck" in the root
directory if not already there. Not more or less.
I can only guess that by issuing this command, you turn off
further file system checks at boot. But I can not believe that
this works that way (see point 4) below).

In the past I also converted from ext2 to ext3 by doing the
following:

1) Compile ext3 support into your kernel
2) tune2fs -j /dev/hda2
3) Modify your /etc/fstab to use ext3
4) Deactivate all further checks as they are no longer needed:
   tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 /dev/hda2

So I think that your "touch /forcefsck" should do what I have
done in point 4).

Greetings,
Manuel.