Re: M$ Curse

Jernej Zidar said:
> After a Windows reinstall, I have lost lilo. How do I install lilo or any
> bootloader, so I will be able to access my linux system?
>
> As the system crash was not planned i have no floppy with my custom kernel
> etc. The only thing i have is the Debian 3.0r0 CD set.
>
> the linux system was running a 2.4.18 custom kernel and XFree4.0

don't you just love it when MS assumes it's the only OS on the system ..

your best bet is probably to compile a kernel on another system and
make a boot disk that's compadible with your system.

what I did last weekend to make a bootdisk..

format the disk(mke2fs /dev/fd0)

copy my kernel to it (be sure it's small enough to fit, for 2.4.20 I had
to really strip it down so it'd fit). copy lilo.conf to it as well as
the files that lilo references in lilo.conf, change the paths in lilo.conf
to point to them, including the new kernel, and run

lilo -C /path/to/new/lilo.conf

and if you don't have a 2nd system, worst case you can download an eval
version of vmware and use that ;)

nate
(no dual booting with win32 for 4 years)