Re: debian woody beside suse

Martin Wegmann wrote:
Hello Debian user,
I am planning to install Debian woody as second linux on my computer beside Suse 8.1. I would like to know if debian will recognize the spare 50 GB on my /home directory (in Suse) and create a partition by it own without infering with Suse or if it would be better to resize it and create a new partition for debian with YAST2. If the partitioning would be the better idea, which format do you recommend?
And the second concern I have is the configuration of the boot manager, will debian show up with suse linux as choice when starting up?

I have five Linux systems sharing a common /home partition and swap partition without a problem.

Just be sure that when you install Debian, you mount /home as 'previously installed' to avoid formatting and wiping out /home's data. You can treat swap as new and format it if you wish, just be sure to mount it. Treat Debian's / partition as a new one and do the format. Just be sure you choose Debian's / and not one that is already installed (your SUSE).

Booting-------I use grub only on the first Linux system I installed and avoided enabling the booters on the other systems. All systems (including Windows 98) are booted from this single grub. I'm not positive but I think you could
use any one of the systems' grub, not necessarily the
first one installed.---there might be a problem if you
had more than one active booter, I'm quite sure.

thanks for your help, cheers Martin

Werden Sie kreativ! Jetzt HTML-Mails nicht nur schreiben - nein -
GESTALTEN, bei WEB.DE FreeMail! http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021141