Re: debian woody beside suse

In linux.debian.user, you wrote:
> Hello Debian  user,
>
> I am planning to install Debian woody as second linux on my computer
> beside Suse 8.1. I would like to know if debian will recognize the spare
> 50 GB on my /home directory (in Suse) and create a partition by it own
> without infering with Suse or if it would be better to resize it and
> create a new partition for debian with YAST2. If the partitioning would be
> the better idea, which format do you recommend?

> And the second concern I have is the configuration of the boot manager,
> will debian show up with suse linux as choice when starting up?
>
> thanks for your help, cheers Martin

The Debian installer will not recognize that 50Gb on your /home partition.
It will see that as a used partition.  You need to resize it and create a
new partition.  You do not need to format the new partition.  The installer
will do that for you.  When you install Debian, just choose the new
partition that you create from that spare room on the /home partition and
let it format it.  It will also ask for a partition for swap - choose what
you are using for SuSE.

Debian will not show up automatically in the boot manager.  What I usually
do is fix this after the install.  I ask the installer to *NOT* put LILO in
the mbr.  I make a boot floppy, of course.  Then after the installation I go
into the other system, SuSE here, and I mount the partition of the new
installation and copy the things in /boot to the /boot of SuSE.  Be sure
that you name these things with something different than what you have in
the SuSE /boot.  I just copy vmlinuz and System.map.  If you have initrd,
you will need that too I think.  Give them all the same ending like
vmlinuz-debian-2.4.20.  Put that same ending on System.map so that when it
boots the correct one will be used.

Then you have to edit /etc/lilo.conf and add a stanza for Debian.  Then run
/sbin/lilo to put it in the mbr and try booting.  This is not the only way,
it's just how I do it.

Anita