Window Managers

Hi,

When I run `startx' I would like afterstep to run, and I would like a menu
giving me a list of all the window managers/desktop environments that I can
run.  How do I tell startx to run afterstep by default?  I have done `man
startx'  but it's all incomprehensible gibberish to me!  :-(  I did look at
xinitrc but again, I can't read shell scripts.  None of it looks obvious to
me unfortunately.  Oh yes, apparently Gnome is installed, but how do I run
it?

Thanks for any help - btw I am running Potato 2.2r6.

Cheers
James