Re: Window Managers

James Buchanan said:
> Hi,
>
> When I run `startx' I would like afterstep to run, and I would like a menu
> giving me a list of all the window managers/desktop environments that I
> can run.  How do I tell startx to run afterstep by default?  I have done
> `man startx'  but it's all incomprehensible gibberish to me!  :-(  I did
> look at xinitrc but again, I can't read shell scripts.  None of it looks
> obvious to me unfortunately.  Oh yes, apparently Gnome is installed, but
> how do I run it?
>
> Thanks for any help - btw I am running Potato 2.2r6.

I am cc'n you since, due to the attacks it is taking a long time for
email to get processed, my last email to the list took almost 4 hours..
normally I don't CC:, but in this case, you may get the info faster :)

I use afterstep, what I do:

echo "exec `which afterstep`" >~/.xinitrc

afterstep 1.6(What I run in woody, this is the same ver in potato) has
a list of window managers in the debian menu(mine only has KDE and
afterstep but I think thats all I have installed). just be sure you
have the menu package installed.

nate